SO I will be updating some ideas about eating out for different meals, here are some tips about breakfast.
- Ask to have your eggs, potatoes and veggies cooked in olive oil. Most places use butter which tastes delicious I know but eating it in the amount that it is used is just not healthy.
- Order your toast dry and add the butter or jelly yourself. I personally like it dry because I prefer peanut butter.
- most fruit compotes are made with added sugar. Ask for fresh fruit and add honey to sweeten.
- Most breakfast places serve oatmeal! go for it! its usually inexpensive too....
- Ok. So being the one to order egg whites is sometimes lame. I understand I have been there. However, the amount of cholesterol in one egg yoke is almost equivalent to your total limit for the day.... Just sayin...
- Double your veggies in that scramble! they will do it if you ask!
- Order the heart healthy pancakes, they are usually made with whole grains and oats.
- Fresh fruit on the side!
- Fruit juice is great but remember the glasses they usually serve it in are more than double an 8 oz serving so be aware you could be drinking your calories in breakfast before it even gets to the table.
- hollandaise sauce is just naughty. In case you didn't know its egg yoke and butter. enough said. don't even go there...
- Avocado is a healthy fat and great during breakfast.
- Cottage cheese & yogurt usually healthier options so look for those!
- If its a good restaurant they will serve real maple syrup but even so, 1/4 cup is 210 calories of sugar... 2 tablespoons is about 80 so just be careful.
** agave is a great alternative to a sugar topping, it has a lower glycemic index.
More to come