I had a request for a soup recipe today. Something super easy and clean. Soup is easy and filling.
A Simple Soup
1. In a medium sized pot let 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil heat at medium heat. Place 1/2 of an onion and 1/2 cup celery cut up to your liking in the pot.
2. After about 2 minutes add minced garlic (one clove unless your a garlic fiend like myself then go nuts). Watch the garlic to make sure it doesn't burn. Add 4 to 8 cups of water to the pot. If you like carrots add them now. you can also add a can of diced tomatoes drained, fresh mushrooms, zucchini or squash. whatever Veggie strikes you.
3. Season with poultry seasoning if you desire a chicken flavor. You can add dried basil and oregano for an Italian taste.
4. On a cutting board, take a chicken breast that you have portioned out (3 to 4 oz) and more if you are making more than one serving. Cube the chicken breast and toss in the soup. The water should be boiling if not turn it up and wait till it boils.
5. After the chicken is in, you are free to add a complex carb such as whole wheat pasta, wild rice, quinoa, brown rice, etc. At that point, turn it down to a simmer to let the chicken and pasta cook.While the chicken is cooking season the water
note: I commonly have precooked carbs in the refrigerator that can be added the last few minutes the chicken cooks to soften and heat.
6. Once the chicken is cooked through the soup is done. If the vegetables are not soft enough, continue to simmer. If you chose to use an Italian theme, adding fresh tomatoes at the end and minced basil will add a great freshness to the soup.
I like to eat this with a slice of home made whole wheat bread that is toasted under the broiler rubbed with garlic.
Note: this recipe is super easy and can be dramatically different with the use of varietal vegetables and different lean proteins such as tofu, textured vegetable protein and shrimp. Using different seasonings such as cumin and chili powder and fresh cilantro with corn and black beans can change to a theme to southwest (add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for heat!). If also love fresh rosemary or thyme. Fresh is the best...